Thursday, December 18, 2008

Dwarf Hotots?

Alright, I'm crazy, it's offical-my husband has deemed. Lol! I'm really thinking about getting a trio of Dwarf Hotots. I used to raise this breed exclusively for about 3 years when I was a youth. I LOVED it, my little buck won 1st in the jr buck class at Nationals and we always took home BOB and BOS with our stock. It was so much fun and the bunnies were full of personality. So...I'm in the middle of a crossroad here. I cannot do two breeds with our limited space-what should I do??

I got into Woolies in the first place because I wanted a colored wool rabbit and it was easy to find breeders here in Texas. Now, after raising them, the cages I have are waaay too small. They will need A/C the rest of their life, and hair is everywhere. But, I sure do have some nice bunnies to start the 'herd' with. I have put a lot of time and work into getting the rabbits we have now.

The Dwarf Hotots are tiny little rabbits-only 1-2 pounds, so my 18x24 cages are perfect! They are great moms, don't require A/C(of course I'm going to have it in the barn though), don't moult long hair, and eat less. They are so rare, I'd have to import from the northeastern US.

Any comments about all this? I either need some sense knocked into me or support on changing breeds-gradually that is.
Photo from: http://www.adhrc.com/ADHRC%20Web2%20About.htm

4 comments:

Keep said...

Awww, I'll be no help, I LOVE my woolies! I suggest culling three woolies and getting a trio of dwarf hotots. You'll find yourself gravitating towards the breed you like the most- then sell out the other guys! That's how we ultimately decided to move out our mini lops :).

Anonymous said...

If you really want dwarf hotots, Tonna thomas raises them and lives in missouri. thought I would let you know that. tammy

TLR said...

Keep going at your passion Lindsey. I believe with all the past success with the Dwarf Hotot, you should continue persevering in it. Since heat is always the issue, I believe DH will definitely suit your lifestyle more!

Anonymous said...

I'm inclined toward the Hotots . . . it seems that your situation is better for them.
Even if you really like woolies, if you can't give them what you think they need, you'll probably end up regretting your decision.
Beside, Hotots are adorable! :) I may even steal some from you one day. ;)