Friday, September 16, 2011

Eyebands

Eyebands are what makes an Hotot an Hotot and its the first thing that the eye is drawn to. Although they are only worth 15 points out of 100 on the standard of perfection, many judges tend to make remarks on the eyebands than the rabbit's overall type. Most of the time breeders don't even look at them, if they have them then they can stay. Simple as that. I am seeing a wide variety of eyebands in my barn, some are partial, some wide, some thin, some uneven, I can tell who the bunny is by just looking at the eyeband. I've studied them that much. lol Here are a few examples of different kinds of eyebands.

The standard states:
"Markings shall consist of a narrow, well defined band of colored fur, forming a complete outline of the eye.Color is to be as intense and dark as possible. Ideal eyeband width is to be equal to the thickness of two pennies."

This rabbit has typical eyebands that I tend to see most often, they are thin on the top and bottom and will drag outward on the inner/outer part of the eye.


This is a break in the eyebands, if you ever have any question as to whether it is a broken band or not, look above the animal and as you look downward you will see the white hairs that make the band a partial one.


Partial bands...this rabbit has obvious white hairs throughout the lower half of the band.


Wide bands, very nice dark color and I like how the band shows thickness at the top and bottom of the eye. A little bit of 'feathering' toward the back of the eye.


Perfect! Well, nothing is perfect but I would say this eyeband is clean, even around the eye, and shows a consistent thickness throughout.

No comments: