Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Feed...what a hassle!

Well, well, well. I have been battling the feed store(the only one in a 30 mile radius) for some time now. Since no one in my area has rabbits, they have to special order feed for me. Which is great because it's *usually* fresh when it comes in on the truck. So when I need to order more feed three months later, what do I get? "We already have a bag for you." I get there and it's the same bag that came with the first one I bought(they order 2 bags at a time). The bag will have a couple of holes in it from where mice have chewed through too!:-( This has happened TWICE now, and you'd think that when I refuse to buy 4 month old feed that's been sitting in the back of their shed, they wouldn't order 2 at a time!! UGH! Can you tell I'm a little stressed?:-(

Well, I had them order me the new Purina Fibre3 feed that has just been released by the Purina feed company. It came in today and it was made three days ago!!! Yay!! It smells soooo good and since it's a much smaller bag, the bunnies will be getting fresher feed more often. Just had to share my little rant about our feed situation. I hope the bunnies really like this new feed!

Just a side note...Piper is bred to Delaney now. We'll see what happens in November.;-)

2 comments:

TLR said...

I used to have feed problem of a different kind but now we have constant supply of Oxbow and I hope it last forever.

Why not get more packets? I rather keep some extra stock with me than to have them kept at the store where they can be contaminated by pests.

But I must give credit to the store for ordering exclusively for you. If only they can have better pests management then it would be great!

The Kings said...

Very true! I should be thankful that they do order it for me. Sorry to be so negative, it's been a bad day and guess I let the steam off on them.:-( The bunnies only eat half a bag of feed every three months, the feed starts to get dusty and changes color after several months(and looses nutrition, breakdown of vitamins) so I try to get a fresh bag every 3 months. I wish feed never got old and we would buy several bags at a time.;-) ....Oh, I've heard Oxbow is a *great brand of feed! Glad you're getting it for the bunnies.:-)